skip to main content

Private School Referrals


Children with suspected disabilities may be referred for Special Education assessment even if they are not currently enrolled in a public school.  If you are concerned that your child may have a disability that could negatively impact his or her educational progress, you are encouraged to contact the appropriate school as listed below.
  • If you live in Capistrano Unified School District attendance boundaries, contact your school of residence.  If you are unsure of the Elementary School, Middle School, or High School that serves your neighborhood, use the School Look-Up found on Capistrano Unified School District's public web site.  
  • If your child attends a private school within CUSD's boundaries AND you live in a district in Orange County other than CUSD, you should contact your home school in your District of Residence.
  • If your child attends a private school within CUSD's boundaries AND you live outside of Orange County, you should contact the CUSD school that serves the area where the private school is located.  Typing the private school's address into the School Look-Up  will assist you. 
In order to start the process you will be asked for basic demographic information that is typical for enrolling in any school program.  You will also be asked for a copy of your child's birth certificate and proof of residency (a utility bill, rental agreement or proof of purchase).
Please review the Referral Process  and other pages of the CUSD Special Education website for additional information.  Should you need further assistance, call 949-234-9279.